If you are living under a rock, you probably are one of those that feels that Smart homes are still a part of our future. Read on to find out how your home can do amazing things now with Smart home devices already available in 2018. You may not feel like the Jetsons but the reality sure keeps getting closer to it.
1. Tell you if you left the stove on: You heard that right! If you forgot to keep those burners on (or you are just paranoid about it), today’s Smart kitchen knobs can caution you right on your smartphone.
2. Protect your parents when you are away: Smart homes today coupled with intelligent health monitors and wearable trackers are ideal for you to be able to monitor your parents’ health while you are away. What’s more? They can also reach out to doctors by setting off alerts if their sugar levels go down.
3. Notify you when someone’s lurking at your front door: Today’s smart doorbells, video door phones and IP cameras can alert you when someone is lurking at your front door. This is quite useful if you live in a remote area in a bungalow.
4. Caution you when air pollution levels get hazardous: With smart air purifiers, you can ensure you shut down the windows well in time to ensure your indoor atmosphere does not get polluted due to the pollution across the city.
5. Make you laugh at silly jokes: If you thought you have a sense of humour, wait till you hear some of the silliest jokes from the guys at Google and Amazon. Just say, “Alexa, tell me a joke”.
6. Set the right temperature before you arrive at home: With simple features like turning on your AC using your phone on the way back from work to advanced climate control that automatically adjusts to the environment and your preferences, smart air conditioning has come a long way and is a reality for mass consumers too.
7. Keep the music playing as you move from one room to another: Smart speakers, multi-room audio systems or simple devices like the Chromecast can now play the audio as and where you like across your home from multiple sources.
8. Wake you up when the sun rises: If you are someone like me, you are going to hate this. But if you are a morning person and love the idea of waking up as the sun rises, Smart homes today can open up your curtains by sensing the heat and thereby detecting the sun’s rays. Yoga anyone?
9. Clean up the floor while you carry on lazying: One of the best things about Smart homes is how it reduces your effort of doing day to day redundant chores. While some might think that robots may be taking over the world; here’s one menial bot that cleans the floor so you don’t have to.
10. Let you experience seamless internet in concrete homes: Concrete Indian homes are a tough one for Wifi routers but not for these. Mesh networks created by a set of 2 or more routers can do the trick to get rid of those patchy wifi spots in your home. (And they make awesome night lights too!)
11. Call the cops when someone breaks into your home: Managed security systems hook up to a call centre that will call the cops in case of a break-in. Some VOIP based security systems can also sound off an alarm to ensure the neighbours here you while simultaneously placing a call to you.
12. Turn off the lights when you don’t need them: Forgetting to turn off the light is the most common habit that we have as humans. Why not fix it once and for all with occupancy sensors and/or motion sensors.
13. Turn your living room into a dancefloor with synchronized lighting: Smart lighting today can sync up to your music and turn your home into a dancefloor. Don’t believe it? Why not just watch the video below?
14. Swipe up to feel cooler or to brighten up the mood: Smart ACs, fan regulators can all be controlled with your smartphone. What’s more? You can even dim or brighten up your lights just at the swipe of your finger.
15. Monitor your energy usage in the palm of your hand: Do you need to switch off the AC more often? Is that new washing machine hogging more energy than usual? Know your stats with energy monitoring devices and apps
16. Play your fave music with a simple voice command: If you love streaming music, here’s the kicker. Amazon Echo has tied up with Saavn to play anything from their library by simply asking Alexa to play it. “Alexa, play top songs by Arijit Singh”
17. Rid you off of all your clunky plastic remote controls: So there is this very simple little thing called the IR blaster. These, when integrated with the rest of your Smart home gateway/hub, can enable your Smartphone to control everything in your home right from the AC, TV and even your DTH.
18. Fake your presence at home while you are away: